Here is a list of Street Names that no longer exist in Walthamstow.

It can be very useful if you are searching for streets mentioned in early census records.

The original list appeared in "The Streets of Waltham Forest - Volume One - Walthamstow", by A.D. Law, A.M.A. - Published in 1974 (Now out of print).

You may find interesting the links to map details of 'disappeared' roads...

Additions/Corrections are most welcome, for further changes have occurred since 1974. Contact Daniel [email]

For information on the Postal Zones go Here

Pre.1822 = Early road or footpath, prior to 1822
Pref. = Prefab road (after WWII)
Plan. = Year when road was planned
Occup. = Year occupied (when first appeared in rate-books)
Made up = Year when road was made up
Name Changed = Year when original name was changed
New Name = New name given to road

Here you can search a street name:

Street Name Pre-1822 Pref. Plan. Occup. Made up Name changed New name Origin of Name & Notes
Abbots Yard Cherry Close
Alfred Street 1879 1882 Comely Bank Road Probably named after Alfred Wilson. Vicar of Walthamstow 1848-51.
Ambrey Lane Yes An earlier name for Folly Lane. Used during the 16th and 17th centuries. Derived from O.E. ampre = dock or sorrel.
Avenue Road 1859 1886 West Avenue Named from the avenue of trees opposite Orford House.
Back Lane Yes 1869 Prospect Field "Back" as viewed from the main entrance to the church.
Beech Hall Gardens 1930 1931 Beech Hall Crescent
Billet Lane Yes 1921 Billet Road Named as the lane leading to the "Crooked Billet" inn."
Blind Lane Yes 1864 1888 Wadham Road
Boundary Lane 1869 1875 Boundary Road Laid out on the line of the Walthamstow/Leyton boundary.
Byfield Road 1899 Jan 1940 Campus Road Named after a partner of Houghton (solicitors) who owned some estates in Walthamstow.
Cambridge Road

1869 1967 (ceased) Formerly lay between Beaconsfield and Colchester Roads. Probably named from the university town.
Cedar Park 1884 1887 Cedars Avenue Named from the house and estate called "The Cedars" - house demolished in 1882/3.
Chapel End Lane Yes 25 Feb 1887 Chingford Road Named from the village of Chapel End. The Chapel was a Chantry Chapel founded by Sir William Tyrwhit in 1441. It fell into decay soon after 1555 (chantries being suppressed in 1547).
Chapel Street

1903 1969 (ceased) Obliterated by the building of Stocksfield Road 1969. Named from the Brandon Road (originally Navvies) Mission, founded 1883.
Charter Avenue 1929 1940 Bridge End Original name in commemoration of Walthamstow receiving its charter as a Borough in 1929.
Chestnut Avenue 1893 1959 North / South Divided into North and South by the building of Warwick Girls' School 1959. General name from the tree, probably influenced by the proximity of Chestnut Walk.
Chestnut Walk Yes 1871 1907 Lea Bridge Road That part of the road between Grove Road and Whipps Cross. Named from the fact that it was lined with chestnut trees.
Chievely Road 1931 1956 Kimberly Road (part) Renamed in 1956 as part of Kimberley Road, of which it forms the eastern arm. Name from an incident in the South African War.
Chingford Road Yes 1881 Higham Hill Road An earlier name for Higham Hill Road, certainly being used in 1879-81. So called as being the road leading from west Walthamstow and Higham Hill to Chingford Hall via Folly Lane.
Church Common Lane Yes 1860 - 26 Feb 1886 Orford Road Parts renamed North Road (1855-60), Orford Road (c.1860), and Stanhope Road (c. 1860-1886). Renamed in its entirety as Orford Road 26th February 1886. Original naming because of its being a cart-track across the Church Common.
Church Path Yes Beaulah Path An alternative name for Beulah Path in the earlier nineteenth century.
Church Path Yes Vallentin Road Another name for Vallentin Road 1871-9.
Church Road Yes 1863 1874 25th March 1886 St. Mary Road That part of the road between West Avenue and Church Path. p.1863, o. 1874. Naming self-explanatory.
Clarence Road 1872 So far this road has not been identified. (Clarence Road o. 1889 still exists)
Clarkson Road 1871 1909 Marlowe Road
Clay Street Yes June 1886 Forest Road Originally that part of Forest Road from the Standard to the Water House. After the 17th century It incorporated Prior Street - the section from Water House to Wood Street. Name changed to Forest Road in June 1886. Original naming was probably directional - the street leading to Clay Hill (the hill at the Falnerston).
Coopersale Avenue Pref. 1947-1961 General naming from Coopersale near Epping.
Coopersale Close Pref. 1947-1961 General naming from Coopersale near Epping.
Cottingham Road Yes The Bridle Path So named Irom a Warner family connection: Sir T.C.T. Warner's great-great-grandfather Edward (d. 1815) married Sarah, daughter of the Rev.T. Brooke, of Cottingham, Yorkshire,
Courtenay Mews 1893 1903 Courtenay Place Mews Named after the landowner (Sir) Thomas Courtenay Theydon Warner, 1857-1934.
Cromer Road 1895 1903 Albion Road General naming from the seaside resort.
Cross Street

1893 1969 (ceased) m. 1893-4. Street obliterated by rebuilding schemes - residents gone by November 1969. Naming self-explanatory - a cross-link between the former Essex Grove and Pretoria Avenue.
East Street 1862 1879 St. Stephen's Road So named as opposed to West Street, the two forming a bifurcation at the end of Wingfield Road.
Eleanor Road 1882 1885 Helena Road General naming from royalty - possibly in error for Helena, or possibly named from Queen Eleanor, wife of Edward I, whose funeral route was marked by crosses erected at its resting places (e.g. Waltham Cross). She died in 1290.
Essex Grove 1867 1973 Essex Close Last residents left by November 1973. Naming self-explanatory.
Essex Hall Pref. 1947-1965 Named from Essex Hall which had stood on that site until 1933.
Evesham Road 1909 1915 Evesham Avenue General naming from the Vale of Evesham, Worcestershire.
Fairlight Road 1898 1903 Parkstone Road
Ferndale Grove 1892 1897 1898 (1907) Wolsey Road (Avenue) General name.
Field Road

1878 1882 1971 (High Street Car Park) Obliterated in 1971 by the formation of the High Street Car Park. Naming may refer to the field acquired as a Recreation Ground.
Fishers Avenue Pref. 1947-1961
Fishers Close Pref. 1947-1961 (No houses).
Foster Road 1900 1903 Forster Road Named after Richard Foster (1822-1910) - local benefactor for the building and support of churches, schools, etc.
Gladstone Road 1892 1885 1907 Lynmouth Road General name from the statesman William Ewart Gladstone (1809-98).
Green Leaf Lane Yes c.1894 Hoe Street Renamed as part of Hoe Street 1887 (the section from High Street to the Bell Corner) Hoe Street North (at the request of the postal authorities) 1889. Name self-explanatory - there was also a field on the west side called Green Leaves.
Grove Place 1862 1886 Buxton Road
Hagger Lane Yes June 1886 Forest Road "(That part of Forest Road between Wood Street and the forest). Name derived from the earlier form Hangerstrete - from O.E. hangra = "a wood growing on a hill-slope".
Hawkesley Road 1884 1892 1911 Southcote Road (formerly Hawkesley Terrace) Name changed to Hawkesley Road 1892-
Hawkesley Terrace 1884 1892 1911 Southcote Road "Name changed to Hawkesley Road 1892/3, renamed Southcote Road 1911."
High View Road. Probably an earlier name for Queenswood Avenue. (Sole mention is on a Kelly's map of c.1904).
Highlield Avenue 1936 1940 Bishops Close General naming.
Hillyfield or Hilly Field Yes Earlier name for the footpath now represented by Hurst Road. So named from being on the steep northern slope of the hill.
Hoe Street North Yes 1894 Hoe Street Known as Green Leaf Lane until 1887, renamed as part ol Hoe Street,1887, Hoe Street North (by request of the postal authorities) 1889, and back as part of Hoe Street from c.1894. Refers to that part of the street between High Street and the Bell corner.
Hoggs Corner Yes 1901-2 College Place
Ilton Road 1884 Jan 1940 Callis Road General naming, either from the Ilton in Somerset or the one in the North Riding of Yorkshire.
James's Road 1903 Queen's Road (The west end of Queen's Road between Lennox Road and Markhouse Road), o. 1856. Named changed to Queen's Road West c.1883
James's Road 1867 1886 Byron Road Became St. James's Road from 1871, and name changed to Byron Road 1886.
Kings Street 1884 1907 Grange Road General naming from royalty.
Langland Close Pref. 1948-1958 General naming, probably from William Langland. author of Piers Plowman, c.1330 - c.1400.
Leigh Road 1898 1906 Turner Road General naming from Leigh-on-Sea in Essex.
Lennox Avenue Genghis Khan Close
Lower Road 1871 1909 Marlowe Road (eastern arm of present Marlowe Road) o. 1871, m.1878, renamed as part of Marlowe Road 1909. General naming being at the lower end of Marlowe Road.
Manby Road 1890/1 1892 1909 Tenby Road (formerly Munster Terrace) o. 1890/1, m.1892, n.c.1894, renamed as part of Tenby Road in 1909 (the western arm of Tenby Road). General naming from Manby in Lincolnshire."
Markhouse Lane Yes c.1875 Markhouse Road Named after Mark House. (which stood on the site of nos. 214-252. Markhouse Road), demolished in 1898.
Marsh Street Yes 22 Dec 1882 High Street Originally included St. James's Street - first clearly separated 1871. Directional naming - the street leading to the marshes.
Merriam Avenue c.1900 c.1939 (ceased) (formerly linking Higham Station Avenue to Larkshall Road near Halex). Named from a family connection with the Directors of British Xylonite Ltd.
Middle Road 1867 Higham Street
Millers Close Pref. 1947-1961 (no houses)
Millers End Pref. 1947-1961
Millfield Avenue 1947 (southward extension). Preserves the old name of part of Higham Hill Common.
Mission Street 1887 1893 1897 Mission Grove Named after the School for the Daughters of Missionaries. 1832-1882. which stood nearby in High Street (now part of J.Davis, Ltd.).
Munster Terrace 1890/1 1892 1909 Tenby Road Name changed to Manby Road 1894, and then incorporated into Tenby Road (the western arm) 1909. General naming - either from the Irish province, or from the town in Germany.
Navestock Road 1947-1961 General naming from Navestock in Essex.
New Cairo Road, 1897 c.1900 Cairo Road (eastern part of Cairo Road from No.29 onwards, and round the bend to Church Hill) , absorbed into Cairo Road c.1900. General naming from the Egyptian capital.
Norman Road Pref. 1947-1960
North Circular Road 1929 1930 Walthamstow Avenue Naming self-explanatory.
North Road

1877 1970 (ceased) Modified latter part ol 1880. Last occupants moved out between October 1967 and October 1968 - tower block (Northwood Tower) occupied and road gone by October 1970. General naming, probably because the road ran northwards from Vallenlin Road to Marlowe Road.
North Road 1860 Orford Road Earlier name for part of Orford Road, probably the section Irom Third Avenue to the churchyard. General naming.
Nursery Close

Pref. 1947-1962 So named because built on the site of an earlier nursery. (Maynard Infants' School now on the site).
Parade, The St. James's Street Popular name for that part of St. James's Street between the station and High Street. In use some time after 1870.
Paramatta Road 1900 1905 Morland Road General naming from Paramatta in New South Wales, Australia.
Penn Road Pref. 1947-1960 Named after William Penn of Pennsylvania (1644-1718). whose father had a house in Walthamstow.
Pig Alley Yes 1891/2 Beulah Path
Prior Street - Yes Jun 1886 Forest Road That part of Forest Road from the Water House to Wood Street (although it is possible that the section in the vicinity of the College was known as Pynderstrete in 1519). Named from the Prior of Holy Trinity Priory at Aldgate in London, lord ol Ihe Rectory Manor (whose demesne lands lay on the south side from Shernhall Street to the Bell corner) from the 12th century until 1531. After the 17th century the name was dropped, and this part of the road was included in Clay Street.
Prospect Field 1877 Prospect Hill
Providence Row 1901/2 College Place
Pynderstreet Yes Jun 1886 Forest Road Mentioned in 1519: probably that section of Forest Road in the vicinity of the College, later incorporated into Prior Street and - after the 17th century - as Clay Street. Named after the Pinder family of Walthamstow.
Queen's Road East 1878 1887 1903 Queen's Road Originally Queen's Road (part from Hoe Street to the Cemetery). Name changed to Queen's Road East c.1883. General naming from royalty - Queen Victoria.
Queen's Road West 1856 1903 Queen's Road Formerly James Road, o. 1856, (part from Lennox Road to Markhouse Road). Name changed to Queen's Road West c.1883. General naming from royalty - Queen Victoria.
St. James's Path Yes -1882 1972 Cranbrook Mews Named from proximity to St. James's church, founded 1842 and demolished 1962.
St. James's Road 1867 1886 Byron Road Name used for James's Road from 1B71.
Salisbury Hall Gardens Chingford Road Named from Salisbury Hall manor (the manor house standing a couple of hundred yards to the south), deriving ultimately from the family of Adam de Salesbury, who held the manor from 1322 until after 1400.
Salter's Buildings Forest Rise (alias Forest Rise) Name correctly applied to the buildings in the Lea Bridge Road section of Forest Rise 1725 - 1820 incorrectly applied to the buildings in the other section of Forest Rise c.1777 onwards. Name also applied to the roadway. Naming from Sir John Salter, who built the houses in 1725."
Selborne Road East 1886 1886 St. Mary Road The earlier name for the western end of St. Mary Road (from Hoe Street to West Avenue), o. 1882. Name changed, with Church Road, to St. Mary Road 1886, m.1886. Sir Roundell Palmer (1812-1895) first Earl of Selborne or directly from Selborne in Hampshire.
South Grove Road 1859 1886 Brunner Road Lying to the south of the former Grove Place (Buxton Road). This would have been more obvious before the railway was built.
Stafford Road 1879 Jan 1940 St. Barnabas' Road General naming from the peerage - the Barons Stafford.
Stanford Road Pref. 1947-1961 General naming from Stanford in Essex
Stapleford Avenue Pref. 1947-1961 General naming Irom Stapleford in Essex
Stapleford Central Pref. 1947-1961 General naming Irom Stapleford in Essex
Stapleford Crescent Pref. 1947-1960 General naming Irom Stapleford in Essex
Stapleford End Pref. 1947-1961 General naming Irom Stapleford in Essex
Stapleford Path Pref. 1948-1961 General naming Irom Stapleford in Essex
Stapleford Road Pref. 1947-1961 General naming Irom Stapleford in Essex
Stoney Avenue 1884 1891 Stoneydown Avenue Name derived from that of a house and estate which stood in the area bounded by Blackhorse Road, Forest Road, Pretoria Avenue, and Longfield Avenue. House demolished c.1936. Ultimately derived from Old English meaning "stoney hill."
Telford Road 1882 1892 1907 Tenby Road General naming - possibly from Thomas Telford (1757-1834), engineer.
Tregunter Road 1958 Handsworth Avenue (no houses), shewn on maps of 1930-4 . (That part of the road between Falmoulh Avenue and Clivedon Road). General naming, either from Tregunter in Wales, or a west country surname.
Troubridge Avenue Pref. 1947-1960 Presumably named from H.M.S. Troubridge, the ship adopted by Walthamstow during the Second World War.
Troubridge Road Pref. 1947-1961 Presumably named from H.M.S. Troubridge, the ship adopted by Walthamstow during the Second World War.
Vicarage Road 1872 1875 Church Hill Road The road leading to the Vicarage from Shernhall Street.
Victoria Road 1887 1893 Clacton Road (near Gladstone - later Lynmouth - Road) General naming from royalty. For a period ol five years Walthamstow had two Victoria Roads, hence the qualifying note after the name.
Warrens Avenue Pref. 1947-1961
Warrens Road Pref. 1947-1960
Warwick Road

1898 1906 Barrett Road Named from the Earldom of Warwick: Lady Frances Evelyn Maynard, lady of the manor of Walthamstow Toni, married Lord Brooke In 1881. He succeeded to the title as 5th Earl ol Warwick in 1893.
Werdestrete Yes Blackhorse Road/Lane? Mentioned in 1277. Probably refers to Blackhorse Road and Lane. There was a "Werdeplake" in 1246, probably meaning "Hat enclosure" (weorth - enclosure plack flat) and called a park, which may have been the site of High Hall. Werdestrete means "street leading to the enclosure."
West Avenue 1882 1898 West Avenue Road
Whitewell Close

Pref. 1948-1961 In Shernhall Street - named from the field on which it was built (now the site of the Maynard Infants' School).
Wilton Road 1901/2 Jan 1940 Haldan Road General naming from Wilton in Wiltshire.
Wolsey Road 1892 1897 1907 Wolsey Avenue (formerly Ferndale Grove) General naming from Thomas Wolsey (1475-1530), Cardinal and statesman.

7 Apr 2014 - Postal Areas [Top of Page]

Walthamstow joined with Chingford and Leyton to form the London Borough of Waltham Forest in 1965 and left Essex. At that time part of Walthamstow bulged into Chingford from Woodford, through Hale End and part of Highams Park.

As part of the merger, there were various boundary changes and this area became part of Chingford. (That’s why Walthamstow Stadium is now in Chingford) Walthamstow gained a smaller area around Folly Lane.

The postal area system has a different base. Essentially, other than a couple of central London areas, the Post Office divided London into the 4 main compass points and then created a numbering system linked to the first letters of the alphabet of a district i.e.:

  • E1 = Aldgate
  • E2 = Bethnel Green
  • E3 = Bow
  • E4 = Chingford
  • E5 = Clapton
  • ... all the way through to E18 = Wanstead.

The same system applies to the N.S and W areas. Unfortunately, over the years the names of the districts are not so commonly used and there have been additions out of the sequence. In recent times the interesting addition has been the area around the Olympic Park, that has been designated as E20. Although generally, Walthamstow is E17 and Chingford is E4, there are some variations from this.

(Text kindly provided by Bill Bayliss)